Friday, January 10, 2014

running in 2013

In 2013, I ran 455 miles.  I am really proud of that number.  Even if my goal for 2013 was 500.  I have definitely had some moments of feeling unmotivated throughout the year, so 455 it is.  I ran in several races this year. 

First was the Graffiti Run at the Indianapolis Fair Grounds.  It was my friend Jada's first race, so there are few things more fun than a first race with a friend.  She was awesome and we both had a great time at the race!  I loved it that my family came to cheer me on :) 

My next race was my friend Lisa's first race.  It was a small race in Fishers, the town where we live.  What a fun day :) 


Lisa and I then ran in the Glo Run.  This race was so fun.  It was held in downtown Indianapolis, at the Canal.  The scenery was amazing, the race was in the dark, everyone was glowing.  It may be my favorite race :)  We got a ton of compliments on our glowing hair.  Mine was borrowed from my Anna :)


 Next up.  Something really insane for me.  The Warrior Dash.  I have never been called a tomboy.  More like a girly girl.  Not a fan of mud.  I really have no idea how Jada talked me into this race.  I was so nervous.  But I finished.  I attempted every single obstacle.  I even feel from the top of the straight up wall.  Right on my tush.  But got up and dusted myself off and kept going.  It felt great to be done.  It felt great to not be in the hospital.  I will probably never run a run like this again.  It wasn't as rewarding for me as a running race.  It was a great experience and I am glad I did it :)

Before the race.

Laura, Jada and I after the race.
I was a muddy mess afterward.  Mud came out of every crevice of my body.
My medal.  First medal ever.


The last race of 2013 was the Indianapolis Marathon Relay.  A team of four runners, each has a leg of the race.  My leg was 7.15 miles.  The furthest I have ever run in my life.  My life was so busy in the fall with Drew's Senior Year, his final Cross Country season and back to work for me and I just didn't train as well as I wanted to and somewhere along the way, doubt started enter my mind.  The day of the race, it was barely 40 and pouring rain.  I was full on dreading my leg of the race all day.  As luck would have it, my leg was the furthest away and last to go.  I got to sit on a cozy warm bus and wait for my sweet friend Jada to arrive.  I ran, and ran and ran.  I dug deep to find the mental ability to finish.  We all did so great and it was such a rewarding experience.  I CAN do some distance.  I CAN do things that are hard.  Running is so amazing in that way.  It teaches you that you can conquer things....you just have to get your head to hear your body :)

3 of our 4 runners :)  myself, Lisa and Jada.  Denise ran the first leg and had to leave to watch Josh run in the State Cross Country meet.
My family came to cheer me on again.  I just love them.  The last turn, when I was sure I had nothing left, there they were, yelling and screaming and jumping up and down, like I was an Olympic athlete.  Loved it and I ran like a crazy lady to the finish line!

My goals for 2014.  Run 600 miles.  Complete my first 10k.  Complete my first half marathon.
And a bonus goal.  Run a 5k with Anna....her first.

No comments:

Post a Comment