Friday, January 10, 2014

a new room for Anna

Anna is starting to make that transition from little girl to tween.  She will be 11 this May and I hope to blog an entire post of her room redo by then :)  We started with gutting the room and ripping up the carpet.  We laid laminate flooring and painted the walls a wonderful dark grey ("Floppy Disc").  The color scheme for her room is dark grey, orange, hot pink and turquoise.

My first big DIY project was a desk.  Eventually I will finish the mirror that will hang on the wall, and she will be able to use this space as a desk for studying and for doing her make up and hair.

We bought the desk at a second hand store in Lebanon...my hometown.  We were on our way to drop off the kiddos at my mom's and saw it sitting out front.  Made of real wood, it must have been a desk at a local office building.  It is really heavy, but it is perfect!



I sanded and painted the top and sides with a chocolate brown base coat.  Then finished with black glaze.  I removed all the drawer pulls and painted them black.  Then painted the pull out sides and drawer fronts colors that coordinate with her room.  The final touch was a gorgeous stencil that I purchased at Hobby Lobby.

 


 Her bed was given to my sister 16 years ago.  From my Aunt and Uncle who had had it for around 20 years prior to that :)  Amanda gave me the two twin bed frames a while ago.  We simply sanded, did the coat of chocolate brown base and finished with the black glaze.



No comments:

Post a Comment