Monday, February 10, 2014

my transformation....




I have lived most of my adult life overweight....not obese, but overweight.  To be honest, I was tiny in high school and didn't have to try.  I was never athletic, and never participated in sports or really anything sporty at all.  My weight fluctuated as I had babies and fought depression.  My life was quite a roller coaster of pregnancy, nursing, PPD, and idleness.

After Anna was born, I decided to become a stay-at-home mama.  I never dreamed of the isolation that would accompany this decision.  I remained a couch potato.  And then I got pregnant with Matty.  I was extremely ill with my last pregnancy.  So in total, I only gained 14 pounds with him.  Afterward, I nursed him for 18 months.  Somewhere in there, I started to lose weight...and I started to feel better. 

I began taking small walks and met a friend that lived close that wanted to walk.  Lisa and I love to talk so walking wasn't even like exercising to me.  We would walk and talk for miles.  And more weight came off.

That is when I decided to try Couch to 5k.  It was slow going and I had to repeat a week or two, but finally started my running journey.

I have had some friends join me along way on their own running journey.  My walking buddy Lisa is running too.  However, we still love to walk together.  My friend Jada is also on her running journey as well.  :)

I am not a star runner.  I am not fast and I do not win races.  But I run a 5k at least 3 times a week and practice yoga.  I have run several 5k's and will run my first 10k this spring.  

Altogether I have lost about 30 pounds.  My legs are so toned and look better than they did when I was a teenager.  I still have flab on my belly.....I still have skin from my c-sections.  But I feel so confident and powerful and can wear a size 6 again.  :)

On the powerful note.......I have mentioned depression in my story.  And I do think that being over weight did not help me feel any better about myself.  With the PPD and the isolation of being a SAHM, I was a mess.  I found a counselor and was put on anti-depression meds.  When I started my weight loss journey, I was taking the maximum amount of Wellbutrin daily. 

But running has done more for me than any medication ever has....it gives me goals and when I reach these goals, it gives me the opportunity to celebrate success.  All of these small achievements started to add up....and my waist line started to go down.  And all the while, my confidence grew.  I am now proud to say that I am completely med free.  Running has given me whatever the meds gave me and so much more.  I can honestly say that running has made me a better person, a happier person, a better wife and a better mama. 

From couch potato to runner......


and me now.......

the graffiti run
with my two youngest kiddos....Anna & Matty
with my sweet friend Jada


running a few weeks ago for #MegsMiles


No comments:

Post a Comment