Friday, April 27, 2012

A Blog about HMBM

I have now been knitting all kinds of wonderful woolies for 5 years and have loved every second of it.  I have met so many amazing mamas....some have become my friends.  My little family has changed so much in these years and I now feel like it is time to make a change in my business.

With 4 kids, ranging in age from 21 down to 5 it is easy to assume my life is crazy.  Trying to squeeze in every moment with an adult child and trying to be a good friend and help guide her through her crazy 20s as much as she will let me.  Having a 16 year old boy that is insanely busy and realizing that I only have 2 more years with him here at home.  Being a champion for my almost 9 year old daughter that I am watching turn into an amazing girl.  And keeping up with my 5 year old with the knowledge that this time with him is amazingly short and precious.  Throw in there an 11 year marriage and now a job.

Yes. A job.  I have had the wonderful blessing of being a stay at home mama for the last 9 years.  I truly believe that this was a gift.  Given by my entire family.  My husband, who works his behind off at a job he really doesn't love, has funded this journey for us and will always have my gratitude.  My children who do not get to go on many vacations, do not have big birthday parties and get a majority of their wardrobes from Goodwill.  No one complains...and honestly, watching my son really know the value of a hard earned dollar has been a reward in itself.

And I found a job that fits perfectly into our family without losing any of the benefits of me being here when they are....a lunch lady :)  While some who know me find this quite ironic (i hate a kitchen)....the hours, the pay, and time off are amazing.  Always off on holidays, always off when they are out of school, summers off, home to get them on the bus, home to get them off the bus.......this is amazing to me.

Sorry for the rambling......my plan is this. This summer I will be knitting up all my stash yarn.  I have accumulated quite a stash of Cascade and it needs to be gone. I will knit up "you pick the bum" design shorties and longies and stock them in my store.  These will be my final in stock woolies.  Once school starts I will be listing an occasional YYMN in my shop until I just can't find the time.  I will be working on getting all my charts listed on Ravelry so that they will be available there and when the time is right, close my Hyena Cart.

Please know that I do not take this decision lightly.  I have so enjoyed hand crafting woolies for all of you and your little ones....but I have realized that time is precious and I need to spend as many moments with my little ones....because they are not little for long.

That said....I am running a contest here on my blog.  The winner will receive a free pair of woolies.  To enter, check out my gallery of work through the years

http://handmadebymama.smugmug.com/Art/HandmadeByMama-Handy-Work/14418898_J5JVkt

leave me a comment with your favorite HMBM knit.  Have a pic of your kiddo in HMBM??  I would love to collect any action shots out there. I don't have nearly as many as I would like.  Post your pic in a separate comment below and that will get you an extra entry.  If it won't let you post a pic, please email it to holly.pitcock@gmail.com and post a comment that you did so..... I will use a Random Number generator to pick the winner on June 1st, 2012.

Details on free woolies.  This will be a "surprise" custom.  You will give me your fave colors, fave themes, your little one's measurements and I will knit you up a pair of shorties or longies (your choice)  for your little one....up to size 2T.

Good luck :) :) :)



15 comments:

  1. Aw, Holly. That gallery is unreal, I hope you know that. So many things that I hadn't seen before! As much as I love the things you've made for us, I think your firedancers are probably my favorite. Of "our" HMBM stash, the FSU butt longies are the awesomesauce. I hope we'll still be able to squeeze in that fifth stocking. <3 your gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much Laura!!! and yes! I will definitely knit you up another stocking for your growing family :) :) just message me when you are ready :) :)

      Delete
  2. There are so many I love. I'd have to say my most favorite is the farm scene.

    jdlesand@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. First I have to say this makes me very very sad. :(

    MY favorite pair of woolies design is the ones you made for us, with the striped legs and the sea bee on the butt! They mean so much to us and we were lucky you did them for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I loved doing those for you! making something for special times in your lives has been so rewarding!!!

      Delete
  4. I love your stockings and the hungry caterpillar overalls. :)

    While this is so sad, it's awesome that you found a great job to still be with your kids. I wish you luck in this new part of your life :)

    Your work is amazing and your charts are awesome! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh I am so sad to hear you are closing up shop but at the same time, I think it is awesome you got to do what you did for so long! And being a lunch lady is an awesome job! I worked with public schools before and the hours are great like you said!! I constantly stalk your HC for new stuff or just to drool over your past knits! I think my absolute fav thing was the reindeer overalls (or traveling reindeer overalls, as they have been in our group for a while now!) and even though my daughter was born in feb, she rocked those overalls for about 6 months until I absolutely could not squish her in anymore. and they were capris by the time I sold them. which is a big regret. I wish I had kept them!! I am going to stalk your custom slot today in hopes that I can get it! your stuff is awesome and I will be sad when you are done! <3 -Kas

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is too hard to pick just one favorite.

    I love what you did with my AtPLH with the cupcake longies. I also love the mario longies and the world peace shorties.

    I've always admired your amazing talents and was never fortunate enough to own a pair of your woollies, but I'm so glad you're doing what is best for your family. Thank you for running this contest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My all time favorite is a set I bought from you last spring. It's a brown shirt with airplane and matching blue and brown shorties with an airplane on the bum. Since DH is a pilot, I just knew those had to be for my son! :) Thank you for your many years of knitting for all of us- enjoy your well-deserved time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite so far are the newbie overalls with the rainbow and Noah's Ark (but it may be the darling action shot that swayed my vote!). Beautiful, beautiful work! I'm so excited that I was able to score your customs spot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have many favorites that I have seen online, but our favorite right now is a cute pair of teal capris with elliebelly crayon trim and cute little hearts on the lefty leg:-).

    ReplyDelete
  10. That gallery is fabulous! I don't think I can pick a fav!! You have to tell me, did you make the chart for the Minnie longies?? I adore them, and my daughter LOVES Minnie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our favorite by far would be the scrappy longies you made for my DD. They've been in continuous use for over three years and I'm looking forward to using them for at least another two. They are worn at least two times a week and still clean up to look brand new. 52 weeks/year * 3 yrs * 2 wearings/week = 312 times those longies have been loved and enjoyed. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its so hard to pick a fav. Everything you do is a work of art. You will be missed. But my fav prob is the lost woods Arabella. So far, I have not been able to score a stocking, but I think I'm gonna go get those qnastaijia Shorties, even though they may be a bit too small for my lil Eva.

    ReplyDelete